Monday, September 27, 2010

Sucess on #8

Number 8 on my list of 34 things to complete this year was a YUMMY SUCCESS! Even though making homemade tamales was not easy, it was so much fun. It took me ALL day....literally...I started the pork at 6 am, added the onions and peppers at 10:00am, shredded the pork at 1:oo pm, started soaking the husks and making the masa at 2:00, rolled them and had them in the steamer by 3:00, and by 5:00 we were eating. Since this was my first time making tamales, I searched the Internet for video tutorials on how to make them. I found a few that seemed pretty good, so I followed their directions. All of them said if you do it right, you will see the lines from the corn husks when you peel them off. I actually squealed when I unwrapped the first one and the lines were there. Amy and Mom had to help me plate up all the dishes...you would have thought we did this on a pretty regular basis, with as quickly as we got the dishes done. Everyone agreed they were YUMMY...SPICY, but YUMMY! I might have to make them again sometime.


Not only did I try my hand at tamales, but I made homemade tomatilla dip, flan, cheros!

Great family dinner. HUMMMM, wonder what will be my next cooking experiment. Hopefully it will get cold soon, because I have a recipe for Cheddar Beer Potato Soup that is just waiting to be made.

8 items out of my list of 34 finished...I better get cracking! Wonder how my girlfriends are doing on their lists????? I bet the thought I forgot that they too made lists....BEWARE ladies I am checking up on you!

2 comments:

Karolynn McMurray said...

Way to go on the Tamales! I've done 4 of the items on my list of 38 I have not forgot.
Love Ya,
Karolynn

Ella's Mama said...

I am glad you have not forgot! can't wait to see you this weekend, even if it is only for a bit.