Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Birthday America!






It is amazing how driving 3 hours north can be 25 degrees cooler. We were lucky enough to spend the 4th of July in Prescott, Arizona. Kevin was ready for some cooler weather and I was just antsy...so it was time for a weekend away from the heat in Havasu. So after my hill run Sunday morning, we packed all the kids (Ella and the 2 dogs) and a picnic and hit the road. Nuvi (the GPS system) lead us to Heritage Park for our picnic.

Then we headed to historic downtown and Whiskey Row. There just happened to be a street fair going on. We walked through the vendors and bought a bird feeder and then found a place in the grass for the dogs and Ella to relax. I hit the rest of the fair and then about a dozen antique shops. I am determined to find a brooch like the one Grandma Weber had. So far no luck. Kevin got in touch with some friends who live in Prescott and we headed to Pioneer Park.
John, Susie, and Colby took us around the 4th of July fair. Ella was excited to do the water slides, bouncy house, and bungee jump. We owe Susie and John a huge thanks for going on the rides with Ella. They had already purchased wrist bands! I could not believe how long the lines were. Kevin, Susie, and I took turn waiting in lines, just so Ella and Colby could have fun. It was a blast!
We headed back to Whiskey Row for dinner at a mom and pa Italian Restaurant...Genovese's. Not as good as Angelina's, but good. I had gnocchi and Kevin had the most amazing stuffed shells. This is the second time I have wished I had gotten what he ordered.

We smuggled Bear and Tucker into our hotel room. I was cheap and did not want to pay for them. It was a little hard since we were the first room next to the lobby...but we did it!

Finding a spot for breakfast was tough. The first place we wanted to go to went out of business in March. I was bummed because it sounded like a great family home cooked place. Nuvi came to the rescue and found us a place called Waffles and More. All of us sat on the patio and enjoyed the cool weather and beautiful sunshine before heading back down the hill to Havasu.












Kevin and I had planned to stop at the Honolulu Club in Yucca for a beer and taco, but they were closed when we got there. We are definitely stopping the next time we drive through.

No comments: