Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An Awesome No Cost gift

I love birthdays and love to give presents to my friends and family...but with the budget being tight, I have had to be creative.

I have seen a lot of subway signs in different stores and on different blogs, so I decided that I would try and make one for Amy's birthday.

I found a scrap piece of wood in the garage and spray painted it black.



Then it was time to use my scrapbooking stickers to put the saying down. When Ella and I were in Texas this summer, I found a subway sign down in Glenrose that I knew was my sister. Only problem was that they wanted $40 dollars for a distressed piece of painted wood. So I snapped a picture of it with my phone and forgot about it. The original saying said marshmallows, but Ella decided it NEEDED to be guacamole. I agree guac was a better choice!



After I got the saying where I wanted it on the board, I found some paint in Ella's arts and crafts drawers. Time to roll on the paint.


It took about 3 layers of paint...I did not try to make it perfect (this is suppose to be distressed).



Once the last layer of paint was dry it was time to start peeling off the letters. Each time I pulled off a letter I got more and more excited. I was SOOOO happy it was turning out how I imagined it to turn it!!! After I pulled off the letters I decided it needed just a little embellishment for the corners...so back to my scrapbooking stickers I went!



I loved the final product and so did my sister. In fact I loved it so much I made a different one with a slightly different saying for a girlfriend for her birthday that same week. I already have plans for no cost or little cost Christmas gifts for the family!!! I love gifts.
























No comments: